Fish Farms, Fish Farm Systems, Aquaculture, Fish Farming Equipment, Aquaponics – Suburban Farmer
Grow Your Own Barramundi, Trout, Silver Perch, Marron and Yabbies!
With a Suburban Farmer fish farm you can easily grow edible fish species that can be harvested to supply your family with fresh fish, produced from your own backyard.
Not only are you growing fresh fish, the filter used to clean the water grows fresh vegetables!
Fresh fish and a vegetable garden that you don’t need to water!
How does it work?
The water in a fish tank is high in nutrients and requires filtering. Instead of using a traditional filter, we pump the water into a specially built vegetable garden that feeds and waters your plants. In turn, the vegetable plants obtain the nutrients they need from the water, and return the filtered clean water to the fish tank.
Growing in this nutrient rich water your vegetables experience accelerated growth rates, are stronger and healthier and use about 10% of the water it takes to grow vegetable plants in soil.
Along with maintaining high levels of productivity, Suburban Farmer fish farm systems offer attractive designs, bringing a touch of class to backyard fish farming.
We install quality fish farm systems of various sizes capable of growing species such as barramundi, marron, trout, yabbies, black bream and silver perch. We can also retro- fit your existing water feature or pond by adding a water-wise vegetable garden filter.
With a tested simple design, our systems are easy to maintain, inexpensive to run and can fit in the corner of the patio or backyard. You only need 3 square metres in order to grow 25 fish and 30 – 50 vegetable plants.
Features of Suburban Farmer fish farms include:
- Attractive water features that are highly productive
- Easy care – all you need to do is feed your fish!
- Include all the tools and equipment needed to successfully rear fish to eating size, without any prior knowledge of fish farming
- Easy to upgrade
- Only require 3 x 3 metres of space
- Inexpensive to run
- Operation manual included
- Any size and shape available, design your own!
- Separate components available for DIY
- Grow a range of species from Barramundi, Trout, Silver Perch, Marron, Yabbies and more
- Grow 25 fish per vegetable garden filter, and you can increase the amount of fish in your tank by adding more vegetable filters (which means more vegetables too!)
- Easy to look after and cheap to feed
- Grow fish according to the seasons: Barramundi in summer, Trout in the winter
Vegetable Garden Filter
- Grow better vegetables faster! Our fish farms use 10% of the water it takes to grow vegetable plants in the ground
- Grow more vegetables! The plants only compete for light so you can plant more vegetables in a smaller area
- Grow any vegetable!
- Can also grow fruits and herbs
- Certified Organic Seedlings available
Below: Are you telling me something that looks this good supplies us with fresh fish and veggies??
Each wrought iron filter stand is hand made and the result is outstanding. You really need to see the stands in person to appreciate how good they look. They are a stunning piece of garden furniture! The stands are incredibly strong and available in aztec gold (as seen on the round stands) or silver (as seen on the square stands).
A newly setup vegetable filter added to an existing fish farm. These small seedlings will soon match those in the neighbouring beds.
and of course the fish!
Systems come complete with everything you need to raise fish and grow vegetables. Features include:
- 1500 ltr (1.7m diameter)
- Upgradable to 1800 ltr (1.85m diameter) or 2000ltr (2m diameter)
- Choice of colour: green, cream or silver
- Choice of Size: 300ltr, 400ltr or 600ltr
- Choice of shape: Round, Square or Rectangle
- Choice of colour: green, cream or silver
- Upgradeable: Add more filters to grow more fish and veggies
- Very Strong, Durable with excellent finish
- Choice of colour finish: black powdercoat with silver, gold or copper flick
AC-DC battery backup air pump:
- Self recharging battery
- Automatically switches to battery power during power outage
- Automatically switch back to mains power and recharges battery when power returns
- 10 hour battery life
Expanded Clay Media
- ph Neutral
- Helps stimulate root activity
- Good moisture holding capabilities
- 2 year warranty
- Upgrade ready: no need to upgrade pump when upgrading fish farm
- Detailed information about the management of your fish farm
- Free helpful advice if you need it
- Home delivery of fish available
- Free delivery of fish feed to your door
“This form of self sufficiency is contagious and a way forward for food production.”
“My mate has joined me and we each grow more and share the abundant crops”
“My system seems to be getting stronger by the season with almost no effort”
Here’s an idea!
The water in your fish farm is nutrient rich liquid gold! Keep a watering can near your fish farm and fill to water your fruit trees, favourite plants or vegetables planted in the ground. They will love you for it!
Where can I see a working display?
Soon to be announced! The public display will be available from April 2011. We will also be at Garden Week.
To receive our pricing guide please complete the below form. The dimensions of the fish farm systems are included on the price list.
Here’s an idea!
Add worms to your vegetable garden filter! Worms add extra minerals to the system through ‘worm wizz’, eat any uneaten fish food that has been pumped into the vegetable filter and clear roots left behind by removed vegetable plants.
Consultation services are available to discuss all aspects of our fish farms, discuss a custom solution or seek advice for a DIY fish farm. Topics covered include:
Fish Farm Operation
Fish Species and Care
Filter System and Plants
Consultations include a written report that summarises the concepts, ideas and recommendations we discuss during a visit.
For bookings please contact Mike on 0431 134 467 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our feed is a high quality commercial aquaculture grade feed with optimised nutrition that provides a well balanced diet for the optimum health and growth performance of both your fish and plants.
4mm and 7mm
1kg – 20kg
Contact Mike on 0431 134 467 or email@example.com to arrange free delivery (within Perth metro area).
In season stock available includes Barramundi, Trout, Silver Perch, Marron and Yabbies. For availability and delivery please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
DIY Fish Farm plans and designs
Make your own backyard fish farms constructed using easily obtainable materials that you can get from any of the major hardware stores anywhere in the world. The plans which also detail the methods and materials used will soon be available, email email@example.com to register your interest!